I really have a thing for Asian salads–cucumber salad, the salad typical of Japanese cuisine with the delicious carrot ginger dressing, seaweed salad– I could go. So when I saw this recipe I just had to make it. It was a perfect accoutrement to my Shrimp Green Curry. It’s like if cole slaw and cucumber salad had a baby. Crisp, refreshing, and tasty! A warm weather must.
Cucumber and Cabbage Salad (Adapted from Healthy Seasonal Recipes) (Difficulty-Easy; Serves 4-6)
- 1 head organic Napa Cabbage, finely sliced
- 6 seedless Persian cucumbers, julienne cut (4 cups)
- ½ c. chopped roasted, salted peanuts (or blanched almonds to stay completely primal)
- ¼ c. chopped fresh organic cilantro leaves
- 1/2 c. extra virgin organic coconut oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- ¼ c. freshly squeezed organic lime juice
- 2 tsp. raw honey
- 2 tsp. coarse sea salt, or more to taste
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Red chili flake to taste, optional
Combine cabbage, cucumbers, peanuts and cilantro in a large bowl. Whisk oil, lime juice, honey, salt, garlic and onion powder and red chili flake if using in a small bowl. Pour over the vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Chill at least 20 minutes before serving.