This post has been a long time coming! Back when I was just thinking of starting my blog and had chosen a name for myself, my dear friend Lauren came to visit me, and as a housewarming gift she brought me the cutest fairy princess baking kit with cupcake liners and little fairy cupcake inserts! She knows me all too well. It was the perfect gift to start my journey as the Kitchen Faerie! So I decided I definitely needed to make a primal cupcake for these magical cupcake liners. Even though carrots are not a staple in the primal diet, I decided to go with a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting since the carrots would add their natural sweetness to the cake making refined sugar unnecessary. And by all means, these cupcakes are not something to eat regularly, but merely a primal treat that is far better for you than traditional cupcakes for those rare indulgent moments.
But then I got really busy and kept putting this task off. But when I brought my brand new beautiful teal stand mixer home from Christmas, I knew this would be the first thing I’d create in it. And I even got a matching mini chopper and these adorable ceramic measuring spoons. I put all three to use right away with this recipe–this faerie was very happy!
Primal Carrot Cupcakes (Adapted by Cupcake Project) (Difficulty-Easy; Makes 12 cupcakes)
- 1 1/2 c blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 organic free-range eggs, at room temp.
- 1/4 c organic pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin organic coconut oil
- 1 1/2 c organic carrots, grated
- 1/2 c pureed dates
- 2/3 c organic dried cranberries or raisins (raisins have less added sugar)
- 1/3 c pure apple cider
- 2/3 c coarsely chopped walnuts
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting (Difficulty-Easy; Frosts ~12 cupcakes)
- 8 0z. cream cheese, at room temp.
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c pure organic maple syrup