I found this delicious and amazingly easy soup on Pinterest. I know canellini, or any beans for that matter, are not ‘primal’ approved, but I also don’t think its the worst thing you could eat so I made it anyway–I know, I’m a rebel. You won’t regret it. It is smooth, creamy, hearty, satisfying and a great warm meal for rainy days, which we’ve had several of in LA the past few days. Great for soup eating and holiday movie watching!!
Broccoli Cannelini Soup (courtesy of Whole Living)
- 1 head organic broccoli (1 pound), cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- One 15-ounce can organic cannellini beans, drained
- 2 1/2 cups organic, low-sodium chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 ounce shaved Parmesan, for serving
- Steam broccoli florets and stems until tender
and bright green, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Reserve 1/2 cup florets for garnish.
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 6 minutes.
Add beans and stock and bring mixture to a simmer.
Remove from heat and add broccoli; puree in batches in a blender until smooth, or use an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with broccoli florets, toasted pine nuts, and shaved Parmesan.